Parkview Holistic Nursing
As opportunities arise, Parkview Holistic Nursing strives to provide nurses with additional education to influence the healing of a whole person. Holistic nursing was founded by Florence Nightingale. Her path taught nurses to focus on the principals of holism: unity, wellness and the interrelationship of human beings and their environment.
Holistic nurses recognize that they must integrate self-care, self-responsibility, spirituality and reflection into their patients’ lives. This often leads the nurse to greater awareness of the interconnectedness of self, others, nature, spirit and relationship with the global community.
Holistic nursing is recognized by the American Nurses Association (ANA) as a nursing specialty with a defined scope and standards of practice by which all holistic nurses are held accountable. Holistic nursing is based upon:
- A unique body of knowledge
- Evidence-based research
- Sophisticated skills
- Defined standards of practice
- A diversity of modalities from a broad range of health practices
- A philosophy of living and being that is grounded in caring, relationship and interconnectedness
How is our program different?
There are several great programs that will help you become certified as a holistic nurse. At Parkview our holistic nurse education pathway is open to the public. We offer a personalized, concise approach that is also affordable. We are perfect for any busy working professional who wants to explore holistic nursing.
Meet Our Instructors
At Parkview our Holistic Certification Prep instructors are nationally recognized and have helped build a comprehensive Holistic Nursing Program within our health system.
- Sarah Weaver, MSN, FNP-C, HN-BC, Parkview Physicians Group - Integrative Medicine. Sarah helps coordinate the holistic nursing educational events for Parkview Health. She is a certified holistic nurse, a trained health coach and doula and HealthRhythms facilitator. Sarah was awarded the Rising Star by American Holistic Nurses Association in 2016.
- Dave Johnson, PhD, RN, CNS-BC, LCSW, LMFT, employee assistance specialist, Parkview Health. Dr. Dave Johnson, known as Dr. Dave, is a licensed clinical social worker, marriage and family therapist, board certified clinical nurse specialist in adult mental health and an internationally certified mindfulness teacher. He is a professor of nursing at the University of Saint Francis, Fort Wayne, Indiana. His clinical work has focused on psychological trauma, family therapy, anxiety, stress and holistic care.
Dr. Dave has expertise in executive/leadership coaching, organizational diagnosis and intervention, as well as community and corporate workshops. He has worked with more than 250 local and regional organizations with consultations, presentations and publications. As a husband, father, and psychotherapist, Dr. Dave weaves stories and anecdotes that reveal the nature of stress in juggling work and family and strategies for maintaining one’s sense of humor and perspective.
- Paula Thatcher ASN, RN, CMSRN, HN-BC, medical surgical unit, Parkview LaGrange Hospital. Paula serves as a holistic nursing trainer and leader to help promote self-care and educate employees on holistic therapies to improve patient care at the bedside.
- Jill Zahm, MSN, RN, AHN-BC, program coordinator, Parkview Heart Institute. Jill is the program coordinator for the Her Heart Program at the Parkview Heart Institute. Prior to her current position she pioneered the role of the nurse navigator at the Parkview Center for Healthy Living. Jill holds a master’s degree in nursing and is certified as an Advance Holistic Nurse and as a Faith Community Nurse through American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Holistic Nursing Frequently Asked Questions
Parkview offers financial assistance to help nurses pay the certification application and testing fees. To qualify for financial assistance, you must be applying and testing for the first time. To obtain assistance, contact Johnathan Liechty, manager, Clinical Staff Development, Parkview, at Johnathan.Liechty@Parkview.com.
Bringing Holistic Nursing to your Workplace
Contact Sarah Weaver, Sarah.Weaver@Parkview.com to discuss how to incorporate the Holistic Nursing Certification in your community or workplace.
Fall 2021 Holistic Nursing Certification Prep Course
offered one day a month for four months
Aug. 20, Sept. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12
1 p.m. – 3 p.m. EST | 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. PST
Via Microsoft Teams
The course will be held online to provide participants a great foundation in the essentials of holistic practice and explores integrative therapies. All classes are taught by certified holistic nurses.