What is an infectious disease (ID) specialist?
An ID specialist is a board certified physician who has received additional medical training and is specialized in working with infectious diseases.
ID specialists are able to use their expertise and diagnostic tools to help determine the cause of infection. If treatment is necessary, your ID specialist will work together with your primary care physician to develop a treatment plan that best suits your specific needs.
When would I need an ID specialist?
Your primary care physician may refer you to an ID specialist when:
- An infection is difficult to diagnose
- You are not responding to current treatments
- You have persistent fevers with no known origin
- You require long-term care for an illness or infection
What are examples of illnesses an ID specialist treats?
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Latent Tuberculosis (TB)
Click here to learn more about our Parkview Physicians Group – Infectious Diseases practice.