Get the most out of your surgical recovery
What is perioperative optimization?
Perioperative optimization is the steps a patient and provider take before, during and after a surgical procedure to improve outcomes, reduce risks and minimize a patient’s hospital stay. Individuals with existing conditions that may hinder more positive surgical outcomes are ideal candidates for perioperative optimization. Benefits of perioperative optimization include:
- Minimized risk of complications after surgery
- Decreased amount of time in the hospital
- Reduced chance of delay or cancellation of your surgery
- Enhanced overall health and surgical experience
- Decreased risk of infection
- Reduced recovery time
Center for Perioperative Optimization
Patients are evaluated by our Center for Perioperative Optimization (CPO) because they have a condition that could impact their chances of a quick recovery and increase the risk of developing complications. At the center, a team of healthcare providers will provide personalized preoperative management that proactively addresses health issues before a patient ever reaches the operating room. Whether you are having an outpatient surgery or a more extensive procedure, the CPO can help ensure you are as healthy and prepared as possible for your surgery. Our program is customized for each person and situation, with an emphasis on successful outcomes and avoiding complications to promote a quick recovery.
What can I expect?
We know that creating a plan for surgery can be stressful for our patients and their families. Much like training for a marathon, preparation for the stress of surgery is important in maximizing your chances of a successful recovery. Our team of experts wants to work with you to identify key areas of your health that will benefit from improvement, monitoring or treatment prior to your procedure.
Your individualized plan will include:
- A complete medical assessment, including a review of your surgical and social histories.
- Medication review and instructions given prior to day of surgery.
- Pre-surgical testing deemed medically necessary, performed according to evidence-based guidelines.
- Education to make sure you know what to expect and how to prepare for surgery.
- Resources to enhance your understanding so that you can be an active participant in care planning and decisions.
We will work with you to identify the best methods of treatment for your health needs. Your plan of care may include dietary recommendations, lifestyle changes, physical therapy, medication management or additional testing or evaluations specific to you as an individual (personal, tailored journey). Our team will work closely with your surgeon and other care providers to ensure that you receive optimal treatment throughout your health journey.