Parkview Health Logo

Dislocated Shoulder

When the upper arm comes out of the shoulder socket, it is called a dislocated shoulder.

After the doctor puts the shoulder back in place, the doctor may put your arm in a sling or brace to keep it from moving.

Exercise and physical therapy can help your shoulder get strong and move normally again. It may take up to a year for your shoulder to heal and be pain free.

If your shoulder keeps coming out of place, talk to your doctor about surgery. It can prevent dislocations.

You may have had a sedative to help you relax. You may be unsteady after sedation. It can take a few hours for the effects to wear off. Side effects of sedation may include nausea, vomiting, and feeling sleepy or tired.

The doctor has checked you carefully, but problems can develop later. If you notice any problems or new symptoms, get medical treatment right away.

What are the symptoms of a dislocated shoulder?

You could have pain, swelling, or numbness in your arm. You might have trouble moving your arm. You might notice that your arm hangs at a different angle or that your arm looks out of place at the shoulder.

How is a dislocated shoulder diagnosed?

Your doctor will do a physical exam. The doctor will also ask how you hurt your shoulder. You might be asked to describe your pain or other problems you have with your shoulder. You will likely have an X-ray to find out if your shoulder is out of place.

How is a dislocated shoulder treated?

Your doctor will put your shoulder back into place. This may be done in the hospital or your doctor's office. Your arm will then be placed in a sling to keep it from moving while it heals.

You will likely have physical therapy. It will help you get back motion and strength in your injured shoulder.

You might need surgery to repair any tissue or nerve damage. Surgery is more likely to be needed if your shoulder keeps coming out of place.

Shoulder care and treatment

Parkview offers a variety of personalized treatment options for shoulder pain.

Learn more

Find shoulder care in Allen County

To schedule an appointment in Allen County, call the Ortho NorthEast office at 260-484-8551 or click below to request an appointment.

Request an appointment

Find shoulder care outside of Allen County

Scheduling an appointment with an orthopedic expert outside of Allen County is easy. Click the button to view PPG – Orthopedics locations.

Find a location