It can be easy to lose the holiday spirit in the deals found during shopping holidays. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are about braving crowds and filling online carts. Five years ago, two organizations in New York City wondered if they could bring that spirit back. Their idea created a one-day annual movement and celebration falling on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving: #GivingTuesday.
#GivingTuesday has one goal: to keep unity and community at the center of the holiday season through generosity. Last year, #GivingTuesday saw the biggest participation increase yet with over $116 million in generous donations alone! And, you can join this movement—online and off! The message is simple and applies to everyone: Use your time, voice, talents and skills, or money to change your community and the world.
You can be the change.
Individuals, families, businesses, community centers, students, friends, and neighbors around the world are all encouraged to find opportunities to join in this new holiday tradition. Anyone can experience the wonderful feeling of giving, but sometimes the hardest part of giving is knowing where to start.
You can start by simply following #GivingTuesday on one of their many social media platforms – Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Snapchat. Here are some other ideas you can use for spreading generosity and giving to your community on #GivingTuesday and during this holiday season:
9 easy ways to celebrate #GivingTuesday in northeast Indiana and beyond:
- Help a neighbor with something that is difficult for them.
- Take time to research volunteer opportunities with organizations that match your interests. Check out Junior Achievement of Northern Indiana or your local United Way and Habitat for Humanity.
- Volunteer for a project through Neighborlink, a local organization that helps connect local needs to individuals who want to make a difference.
- Go online or visit your local BMV and become a registered organ donor.
- Sign up to become a Parkview volunteer.
- Support the healing touch of generosity and quality of life through the Parkview Foundations.
- Become a part of the #UNselfie movement through #GivingTuesday by posting a ‘selfless selfie’ to show us how you’re giving!
- Donate what you would have spent on your daily cup of coffee - $5 – to Parkview Foundation to support Parkview patients and their families this holiday season.
- Use social media to share with us a how you are giving! Be sure to use @ParkviewFDNs and @ParkviewHealth and don’t forget to use #GivingTuesday and #UNselfie in your posts!
The #GivingTuesday movement reminds us that generosity is important not just today, but all year long. In fact, studies have shown that giving can have a positive impact on your life. It reduces stress, conquers feelings of loneliness, and has a direct effect on your overall health.
Being a part of a global celebration and a new tradition of generosity and community could be the greatest gift of all!