When you make a donation or perform an act of kindness, the results aren't always as obvious as seeing joy and excitement light up the faces of your family members as they open their Christmas gifts, but #GivingTuesday is a reminder that, whether you realize it or not, you're making a difference through your donations and generosity. This difference can be seen at Parkview every day.
Has the sound of a propeller on a silent day made you turn and look to the sky, only to see the Samaritan helicopter out on a call? The Samaritan would not be able to save lives if it weren't for your donor dollars supporting its operation, and that's just one example of how your gifts are at work for the patients and their families at Parkview. When you give a gift this #GivingTuesday, or any day of the year, you may be saving a life, or providing a much needed dose of hope and happiness.
10 ideas for your #GivingTuesday
Everyone is encouraged to find opportunities to join in this holiday tradition. Below are 10 ideas you can use for spreading generosity through Parkview Health and to your community on #GivingTuesday and during this holiday season:
- Donate to support The Nightingale Award, established in memory of the late Marge Carpenter, LPN. THis annual award honors exceptional Parkview nurses who exhibit a strong work ethic, mentor younger nurses, and who consistently exceed the expectations of patients and families.
- Donate money or books to Kate's Kart for hospitalized children.
- Sign up to become a Parkview volunteer.
- Support the healing touch of generosity and quality of life through a gift to the Parkview Foundations’ Greatest Need Fund.
- Show us how you are giving back on #GivingTuesday by becoming part of the #UNselfie movement and posting a ‘selfless selfie’! Parkview Foundations would love to share your story!
- Go online or visit your local BMV and become a registered organ donor in order to save dozens of lives.
- Skip the cup of joe and give the $5 you would have spent to Parkview Foundation in order to support patients and their families this holiday season
- Be an active voice and participate by donating to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Northeast Indiana
- Take time to research volunteer opportunities with organizations that match your interests. Check out Junior Achievement of Northern Indiana or your local Habitat for Humanity.
- If you enjoy the great outdoors, donate to one or all of Indiana’s 24 state parks to help protect and restore the land.
Use social media to share with us a how you are giving! Be sure to use @ParkviewFDNs and @ParkviewHealth and don’t forget to use #GivingTuesday and #UNselfie in your posts!
Behind the Hashtag
Losing sight of the holiday spirit is easy to do when Black Friday and Cyber Monday commercials, deals, and bargains are splashed across our televisions and social media. Six years ago, an idea was formed to launch a global movement and celebration that would focus on giving and not getting. This celebration has become what we know as #GivingTuesday and is observed on the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving.
The goal of #GivingTuesday is simple – keep unity and community at the center of the holiday season through generosity. Last year, #GivingTuesday saw the largest participation yet with over $170 million dollars raised online alone and participation from 98 countries and territories around the world. Word is still being spread across the world about #GivingTuesday, but now is the time to use your voice, time, talents, skills, spare change or your platform! Join this movement—online and off.
There are endless ways for your family, community and company to celebrate the spirit of #GivingTuesday on Tuesday, November 28. Help honor the heart of the holiday season by being a part of the global generosity celebration with your peers and community!