What is Total Vascular Screening?
Vascular screening tests are non-invasive procedures that are performed with ultrasound and blood pressure cuffs designed to detect blood flow in the arteries throughout the body. These screenings can indicate blockages or weakening of vessels in the brain and blood pressure differences that point to blockages in the legs.
Total Vascular Screening includes the following three screening tests and can be completed in approximately 30 minutes.
- Carotid artery screening detects the presence of carotid stenosis (or narrowing of the arteries), the most frequent cause of stroke.
- The ABI screening detects the presence and severity of peripheral artery disease (PAD) in the arteries of the legs and/or feet.
- Abdominal aortic screening can detect and estimate the size of an aneurysm in the “abdominal” aorta, the largest artery of the body.
What can I expect?
Tests are performed by specially trained vascular sonographers within the certified vascular lab at Parkview Heart Institute. A cool gel and an ultrasound wand will be used on your neck and abdomen. Blood pressure cuffs will be placed on your ankles. Testing will last approximately 30 minutes. When your test is complete, you will receive results indicating your screening is either normal or abnormal. Your physician may recommend further evaluation and testing if results are abnormal.
Who needs a vascular screening?
Certain lifestyle habits increase your risk for developing vascular disease. If you are an adult over 40 and have several of the following risk factors, you should consider scheduling a vascular screening tests.
- Family history of heart disease, stroke, aneurysm or PAD (blockage in the legs).
- Existing vascular disease
- Cigarette smoking/tobacco use
- High levels of LDL (“bad”) cholesterol
- Low levels of HDL (“good”) cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Excess weight
- Lack of exercise
- Stressful lifestyle
To determine if vascular screenings are appropriate for you, check your risk factors on this scorecard .
Price & Insurance
$79 flat fee*
*These tests are considered “screening” tests, therefore they are not covered by Medicare or private insurance. If scheduled at Parkview Heart Institute, payment will be requested at time of service. Screenings scheduled at any other location will be pre-registered and pre-paid over the phone.
Schedule a Vascular Screening
Vascular screenings are available daily by appointment at Parkview Heart Institute.
To schedule an appointment, please call (260) 266-5740.
Parkview Heart Institute also offers vascular screenings at each of our Parkview hospitals. Call to find out when we will be in your community.