Traveling, for work or pleasure can be enjoyable, but there is no doubt it throws off your regular routines. This might make it hard to find time for the exercise and physical activity you usually engage in. However, with a little planning and creativity, you can find ways to move your body and feel good even while you’re away from home. Here are some helpful tips for staying active while on the road.
Plan your exercise when preparing for your trip
- Take the time to think about your trip and how your routine will be affected. Identify the barriers that might keep you from your regular physical activity, such as long meetings, a busy schedule or weather extremes. Develop a plan for how you will get around those barriers.
- When booking your stay, try to find a hotel that has an exercise room, exercise videos or a swimming pool. Or look for accommodations near a park, walking trail or gym.
- Pack items that will help you exercise, such as workout clothes, a swimsuit, walking/running shoes, a jump rope or resistance bands.
Exercise at the airport
- Walking laps around the airport terminal keeps you moving and is a good way to pass the time before takeoff.
- During a long layover, find a gym close to the airport so you can work out between flights.
Find creative ways to exercise
- Use the hotel workout room or swimming pool, if available, or a nearby gym.
- Exercise first thing in the morning, when you’re more likely to do it.
- Use a phone app or pedometer to motivate you to add steps throughout your day.
- Ask the hotel concierge about local parks and walking/running trails. (Be sure to practice trail safety.)
- Walk to local restaurants for meals, instead of driving.
- If the hotel is large, turn its hallways and staircases into a track and do laps.
- The Internet is full of suggestions for exercises you can do in your hotel room, for beginners as well as the more advanced. You can also jump rope or run in place. If that's too boring, do it while you watch TV in the morning or evening. When in doubt, dance it out!
Stop illness or injury from upending your exercise
With Parkview OnDemand, you can talk to a provider anytime, anywhere through video or mobile app visits via a computer or smartphone. Registering is simple. Just download the Parkview OnDemand app, available in Google Play or the iPhone App store, or visit ondemand.parkview.com, to get started.
Copyrighted material adapted with permission from Healthwise, Incorporated. This information does not replace the advice of a doctor.