Watchman™ is a device used in patients with atrial fibrillation (AFib) and a high stroke risk, and who are unable to take blood thinners. Thanks to this device, nearly 100% of the Parkview Heart Institute patients who received the implant have been able to come off of their oral anticoagulant medications within 45 days of placement.
You may be a candidate if you have:
- History of bleeding
- Inability or significant difficulty using anticoagulant medications (blood thinners)
- High risk of recurrent falls
- Severe renal failure
- Occupation/lifestyle related high bleeding risk
- Increased bleeding risk due to tumor, cancer or various other conditions associated with bleeding
- Other situations for which anticoagulation is inappropriate
For questions about Parkview’s Watchman™ program, please call 260-266-FIBR (3427), or ask your primary care physician for a referral to the Parkview Heart Institute’s AFib Clinic.
What is atrial fibrilation?
Atrial fibrillation is the most common type of abnormal heart rhythm that affects 3 million individuals each year.