Colon & Rectal Surgery

What is a colon and rectal specialist?

A colon and rectal specialist treats diseases and conditions of the colon (large intestine), rectum and anus. Parkview’s board-certified specialists are all surgeons who have received extra training in these conditions.

Why would I see a colon and rectal specialist?

You may see a colon and rectal specialist if you have any of these symptoms:

  • Bleeding from the rectum (either bright red or dark red/black)
  • Infections
  • Severe constipation
  • Rectal pain
  • Fecal incontinence (lack of control or leaking of stool)
  • Rectal prolapse (bowel protrudes out the anus)
  • Hemorrhoids (swelling or inflammation of the veins in the anus and rectum)
  • Fissures (tears or cracks in the anus)
  • Severe diarrhea

What does a colon and rectal specialist treat?

  • Anal abscess
  • Anal fissure
  • Anal warts
  • Bowel incontinence
  • Colon cancer
  • Rectal cancer
  • Anal cancer
  • Constipation
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Diverticular disease
  • Fistulas
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Irritable bowel syndrome
  • Ostomy
  • Pilonidal diseases
  • Polyps of the colon and rectum
  • Rectal prolapse
  • Ulcerative colitis

What procedures does a colon and rectal specialist do?

  • Anal manometry
  • Colonoscopy
  • Hemorrhoidectomy (hemorrhoid removal)
  • Hemorrhoid banding
  • Fissure repair
  • Fistula repair
  • Condyloma removal (anal wart removal)
  • daVinci© colon resections (minimally invasive surgery that removes part of the colon using a specialized robot)
  • Laprascopic colon resections (minimally invasive surgery that removes part of the bowel using small incisions in the abdomen)
  • Open colon resections- Surgery that removes part of the bowel through a large incision across the belly
  • Sacral nerve stimulator
  • Laprascopic rectal prolapse repair
  • Open rectal prolapse repair
  • Intra-rectal ultrasound
  • Colostomy/ileostomy creation

Do I need a referral from a family practice physician to see a colon and rectal specialist?

In Indiana, many insurance companies do not require a referral to see a colon and rectal specialist.  If you are seeing a PPG colon rectal specialist in Ohio your insurance will always require that you have a referral from your family practice physician. Before scheduling an appointment, call your insurance company and ask if your appointment and procedures will be covered.

How do I make an appointment to see a colon rectal specialist?

To make an appointment, call (800) 801-9102.

What should I bring to my first appointment?

During your first appointment you will need to bring your:

  • Insurance card
  • Driver’s license or other state/federally issued identification
  • List of medications
  • Any paper work that you received
  • Medical records from other doctors related to your condition

What can I expect during my first appointment?

You may have a physical to help your specialist gain a better understanding of the problems you have been experiencing. Your specialist will also ask you many questions about:

  • Your symptoms
  • Past or recent illnesses
  • Surgeries that you may have had in the past so that the specialist can better understand your needs.