Reaching out to you
The fight against cancer doesn’t stop when you walk out the Parkview Cancer Institute doors. To truly make a difference in this community, we’ve created a program that focuses on education, awareness and screening to promote cancer prevention and early detection.
Screening tests and health fairs
Parkview specialists provide an abundance of consumer-oriented health information at:
- Community health fairs, such as Healthy Cities, Focus on Health
- Company health fairs
- Cooperative programs with organizations including YMCAs throughout the region and health clinics in northeast Indiana
The cancer center also coordinates screening initiatives:
- Prostate cancer – An annual prostate cancer screening event encourages men to have their PSA levels tested by providing blood tests and follow-up through the Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Mammography – The Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center partners with Francine’s Friends in providing mobile mammography services for women close to their home or workplace.
- Skin cancer – Free skin cancer screenings are offered from time to time.
- Oral cancer – A free oral cancer screening is offered annually by local dental professionals.
Our cancer experts regularly present educational programs to businesses, organizations and schools. Educational presentations reach middle-school and high-school students each year with important information on topics such as prevention and detection of skin, lung, oral, testicular and breast cancers.
Each year, the cancer center hosts a symposium for healthcare professionals and a community forum for the general public highlighting a specific kind of cancer. These presentations provide information on risk factors, treatment options and technological advances in treatment and research for a particular type of cancer. Prevention tips are emphasized at the community forum. Keynote speakers include respected practitioners in their respective fields.
For more information or to arrange for a cancer specialist to provide health education at a program or health fair, call (260) 266-9180.
Parkview is committed to partnering with other cancer support agencies that focus on awareness, education, advocacy, early detection and research. Working closely with agencies such as the American Cancer Society, Cancer Services of Northeast Indiana, and affiliates of the Susan G. Komen Foundation enables us to improve the coordination of services to the community. Collaboration with local companies involved in cancer awareness and fundraising activities enables the cancer center to further extend its reach.
For all community outreach information call 833-724-8326.