The best protection is early detection.
Prostate cancer screening can help identify cancer early on, when treatment is most effective. Screening blood tests, such as the prostate-specific antigen (PSA), are available through your physician, at the annual Focus on Health sites for a nominal fee, or community outreach events.
Under age 54
- No routine PSA based screening recommended .
- Greatest benefit of screening in this age group
- Shared decision making based on patient’s values and preferences, life expectancy and cancer risk
over age 70 or any patient with a 10-15 year life expectancy
- No routine PSA-based screening
- Some men over 70 who are in exceptional health may benefit from screening