Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Parkview Health Mom and Baby Innovation Competition?
Parkview Health and the Indiana Chapter of the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, HIMSS, has partnered with MATTER to explore, source and pilot digital and device-enabled solutions or services that address one or a combination of the priority areas listed below:
- How might we better support mom, prior to the birth of her child, by enhancing her maternal health and resilience, providing her seamless access to care plans, expert advice and education, and better aligning her with both the clinical resources and social support needed to ensure a healthy pregnancy?
- How might we better support baby shortly after birth, by ensuring access to key nutritional supplements, safe sleep and stable support structures and environments?
What types of ideas and solutions is this program seeking?
This competition is open to existing startups that have an established product market fit to university students with an idea for a product, solution or service that fits within the competition scope.
How do I apply for the competition?
The application period for this year is now closed.
How many winners will be selected and will the winner be publicly disclosed?
10 semi-finalists have been selected to participate in the Virtual Innovation Competition on June 1, 2020. These semi-finalists will pitch on June 1, 2020 virtually to a group of subject-matter expert judges.
A public session will be held from LIVE 3:30-4:30 p.m. on June 1st to showcase semi-finalists and announce the winner. Anyone is welcome to register for the free virtual event.
3-5 Finalists will be chosen to receive the opportunity to move to the accelerator phase. Finalists will be publicly disclosed once selected. All finalists will participate in an accelerator culminating in a public event at the Mirro Center on September 17, 2020.
What will the innovation competition finalists receive?
The top semi-finalist in the Healthy Mom and Baby Innovation Competition will receive a monetary prize based on the following:
1st Place: $10,000.
There will be up to 4 additional teams (5 total) selected to continue to the accelerator phase and final Pitch Competition in September.
How can the prize money be used?
The non-dilutive prize money can be used for any aspect of product or company operations that helps advance the development of the solution.
What will the pitch competition winner receive?
The opportunity to pilot or partner with Parkview Health
Further mentoring and education in the infant mortality and maternal health from selected and trained Parkview Health, MATTER staff and stakeholders from across the healthcare community.
A free 1-year membership at MATTER. For a full list of terms and conditions, click here.
Who chooses the semi-finalist and finalists?
Applicants were screened and evaluated by MATTER and Parkview Health. Finalists will be selected by a team of subject-matter experts.
What are you looking for in applications?
This competition is open to existing startups that have an established product-market fit to university students with an idea for a product, solution or service that fits within the competition scope.
Ability to clearly articulate the problem statement addressed in the competition description
- The description of the unmet market need of the stakeholders involved, and the deficiencies of current solutions.
- Teams ability to demonstrate evidence about customer solution fit and/or solution-market fit.
Quality, feasibility and scale of proposed solution or technology
- The description of the unique technical features of the product or service, the proposed benefits to stakeholders, any evidence or proof-of-concept supporting the impact of the solution, and the ability to scale to a broad market.
Differentiation of solution within the competitive landscape
- The description of how the proposed solution addresses the unmet need, why it would be sustainable, and how it is differentiated within the competitive landscape.
Capability of participant to develop and execute solution
- A description of the composition of the Participant Team and relevant background and experience of Participant or each Participant Team member that uniquely positions Participant to execute on this solution.
If I have additional questions not addressed here, where can I obtain more information?