In order for a patient to be admitted to the Parkview Rehabilitation Center, there must be a reasonable expectation that he or she will be able to improve in function based on abilities before the accident or illness. In addition, he or she must:
- Be medically stable, alert, willing and able to participate.
- Be free of mechanical ventilation.
- Be able to tolerate at least three hours of intensive therapy per day.
- Need 24-hour rehabilitation nursing care as well as 24-hour availability of a rehab-credentialed physician.
- Need at least two of these forms of therapy: occupational, physical or speech. Third-party payors may require physical therapy plus occupational therapy or speech therapy.
- (In the case of a brain injury) Show responsiveness at or above Level II on the Rancho Los Amigos Cognitive Scale (at Level IV or above to meet some third-party payor requirements).
- Be age 6 or older
Insurance coverage will be verified and pre-certified prior to admission. A hospital financial counselor can assist you in arranging for payment of charges not covered by insurance. For more information, contact the financial counselor at (260) 373-8812.
To refer a patient to Parkview Rehabilitation Center, call the rehab admission specialist at (260) 373-6404. If the patient is currently in a Parkview hospital, the referring clincian may also enter an order for a "rehab screen."
In response to the referral, the rehab admission specialist will:
- Review documentation of patient information to determine need/eligiblity for acute inpatient rehab as the appropriate level of care.
- Complete a face-to-face assessment if the patient is within the Parkview system and within a geographic area that permits on-site evaluation.
- Verify and pre-certify insurance coverage prior to admission.
- Review the pre-admission screen with the rehabilitation physician.
If the patient referral is accepted, the following will be required:
- Order to admit, along with orders for medications, treatments and other elements of care
- Nurse-to-nurse report phoned to (260) 373-3659
For questions, contact the rehab admissions specialist at (260) 373-6404 or (260) 266-4014.
Conditions of continued stay
A patient may continue to stay at the Rehab Center provided that he or she:
- Makes significant, functional progress toward goals
- Participates actively in, and tolerates, at least three hours of daily therapy
- Continues to need 24-hour rehab nursing
Discharge from the center
A patient is discharged when:
- He/she or family members request discharge
- Goals have been accomplished
- He/she no longer requires an intensive inpatient program; rehab needs may be met via outpatient care, home health care or a stay at an extended-care facility
- Significant functional progress is not being made