Cancer patients who live in northeast Indiana have convenient access to radiation or chemotherapy treatments at The Cancer Care Center of Angola. The facility is a partnership of Parkview Health; Radiation Oncology Associates, Inc.; and Cameron Memorial Community Hospital.
The partnership also includes physicians from Fort Wayne Medical Oncology & Hematology who provide chemotherapy at the center.
A number of treatment types are available at the facility, which is located adjacent to Cameron Hospital.
- Radiation therapy – A linear accelerator delivers an external beam of radiation through the skin to the tumor. The high-energy X-ray beams produced by the accelerator kill cancer cells and shrink tumors.
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy – Precise radiotherapy using 3-D imaging and computer-guided X-rays. By controlling the intensity of the beams, a physician can direct the radiation to the three-dimensional space occupied by the tumor.
- Chemotherapy – Simulation and treatment planning using a sophisticated computer system enables cancer specialists to guide a beam of radiation through the body to pinpoint the tumor. Using computer-modeling technology, specialists can deliver the appropriate dose of radiation while sparing healthy tissue.
Cameron Hospital provides valuable ancillary services for cancer patients:
- Laboratory testing and diagnostic exams – CT scans, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), nuclear medicine scans, mammography and ultrasound
- Home care for recovery
- Hospice care
In cooperation with the National Cancer Center and medical centers such as the University of Chicago, cancer specialists at The Cancer Care Center of Angola participate in state and national research projects. The research brings the newest technology, procedures, and medicines to patients and keeps physicians and other health professionals informed on emerging treatment strategies.
The physicians and staff of the center are dedicated to taking care of cancer patients and their families. Specially trained nurses provide care that is responsive to the cancer patient's needs, concerns, and feelings. The cancer treatment staff includes radiation and medical oncologists, radiation therapists and physicists, nurses and other specialists.
The Cancer Care Center of Angola works closely with hospitals and physicians in surrounding counties. In addition, the center has established relationships with important community organizations, such as the American Cancer Society, to provide patients and families with access to the latest information and the best possible care. The center is also dedicated to improving the health of the community through education and prevention programs.
Support services that enhance traditional care are available for patients:
- Patient Education Library
- Hospice services
- Home health
- Support groups
- Nutritional counseling