Fighting cancer is often physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting. As patients move through their cancer journeys, the Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center staff provides encouragement, expert guidance and services to help them cope and regain a sense of well-being.
Complementary care services, which complement technology-based medical treatments, can be an important part of each patient's experience, helping to reduce side effects of treatment, decrease stress and rebuild strength and self-esteem.
The cancer center offers several complementary care services:
- Cancer Exercise Program
- Healing Touch
- Cancer massage therapy
- Yoga cancer recovery
In addition, the center offers free seminars by Parkview professionals from a variety of healthcare disciplines. Topics may include these and other subjects:
- Stress management and relaxation
All of the above services are located on the Parkview Regional Medical Center campus:
Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center
Third floor, Wellness Suite
For information, call (260) 266-9100.
The Cancer Exercise Program
Research has shown that a cancer exercise program can significantly improve quality of life for people with cancer and give them a sense of direction in recovery by:
- Reducing fatigue
- Building muscle strength and stamina
- Managing the side effects of treatment
- Stimulating the immune system
- Reducing risk of recurrence for some cancers
- Promoting cell efficiency, helping cells to stay healthy
- Improving mood and outlook
Directed by experienced Parkview exercise physiologists who are degreed and certified, the Cancer Exercise Program is tailored especially to the challenges and capabilities of current and former cancer patients. Each instructor has more than 10 years’ experience working with people who have compromised physical conditions.
What you need to know:
- No physician referral is needed to participate in the program.
- Group and individual exercise takes place in a relaxed, comfortable environment.
- An initial assessment is required for evaluation of individual capabilities. Call (260) 266-9206.
- Fee: $3 per person per group session.
- One-on-one sessions with a personal trainer are available at a cost of $25 per session.
Reflexology is the practice of applying pressure to certain points on the feet and hands. This non-invasive healing art is based on the premise that specific areas on the feet and hands are linked to the glands, organs and areas of the body. The practitioner uses accepted techniques for applying pressure with the fingers and thumbs to activate reflexes in the body that:
- Improve blood flow and relaxation
- Reduce anxiety and stress
- Alleviate pain and discomfort
- Promote healing
Healing Touch is a non-invasive, holistic practice that draws on the mind-body-spirit connection. The practitioner works with the body’s energy fields to restore harmony to the internal systems and encourage healthy function and healing. Among the many uses of Healing Touch are:
- Pain relief
- Anxiety and stress reduction
- Acceleration of wound healing
- Promotion of emotional balance and mental clarity
- Preparation for, and follow-up after, medical procedures
Scheduling appointments for Yoga, Healing Touch and Reflexology
Members of the Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center's Patient Navigation Team can assist you in finding service providers for the therapeutic approaches described in the sections above. Call (260) 266-9100 to speak with a patient navigator, a specially trained oncology nurse experienced in navigating the healthcare system and familiar with community resources for patients. She can supply a list of providers with whom you may schedule an appointment. Fees vary from one provider to another.
Cancer massage therapy
Massage has been shown to help decrease pain, control symptoms such as fatigue and muscle tension and improve mood for many cancer patients.
The Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center provides this service via a licensed therapist, specially trained in cancer massage and the unique needs of people who are undergoing treatment. To schedule an appointment, contact massage therapist Julie Miller at (260) 672-6512.
Fee: $55 per session
Special discount for patients who are undergoing treatment or within six months of having completed treatment: $20 each for the first three sessions.