Fruits and vegetables are full of nutrients that help you learn and grow, prevent disease, and keep up your energy and mood.
Fruits and vegetables are important for a healthy body weight, too. Studies show that generous amounts of these foods can help you:
- Prevent overweight and obesity
- Lose excess weight
- Maintain a healthy weight throughout your life
Ideas to make it happen
- Grab a bag. Buy bags of mini carrots, broccoli, and sugar snap peas for easy, portable snacks.
- Rate your plate. Fill half of your plate with vegetables at every lunch and dinner. Eat this half first!
- Finish up with fruit. If you want something sweet for dessert, make it fruit. Whole, fresh fruit is best.
- Go for 2. Include two vegetables in every dinner.
- Never starch alone. Add vegetables to rice, ramen, or pasta dishes.
- Get smooth. Make frozen fruit smoothies with whole fruit, ice cubes, and skim milk or low fat yogurt.
- Watch your sides. At restaurants, choose beans, vegetables, or a side salad instead of French fries.
- Keep it in sight. Keep fruits and vegetables on hand, at eye level in the refrigerator, cupboard, and counter. Store the chips and cookies out of sight. Better yet, buy them only for special occasions.