Parkview Health offers diagnostic services in a variety of disciplines throughout northeast Indiana, including endoscopy.
Endoscopy is a broad term used to describe any minimally invasive screening or diagnostic procedure in which an endoscope is used. An endoscope is a slender, tubular optical instrument that enables a physician to view and/or photograph the internal organs or their interiors, take tissue samples for biopsy, or perform surgery.
There are many types of endoscopy; the name of the procedure varies depending on the portion of the body being examined. Some common endoscopic procedures, and the body parts they involve, are:
- Laparoscopy – abdominal or pelvic cavity
- Colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy – colon/large intestine
- Enteroscopy – small intestine
- Bronchoscopy – lower respiratory tract
- Rhinoscopy – nose
- Otoscopy – ear
- Cystoscopy – urinary tract
- Gynoscopy – female reproductive tract
- Arthroscopy – interior of a joint
Usually, the patient is at least partially sedated to prevent awareness of any possible discomfort.
If your physician has decided you need to have an endoscopic procedure, contact one of these Parkview facilities:
Parkview Outpatient Center (Fort Wayne)
Parkview Huntington Hospital
Parkview LaGrange Hospital
Parkview Noble Hospital Endoscopy Center
Parkview Whitley Hospital