Sophisticated technology, new treatments and medications, and a professional team dedicated to caring for each patient as an individual distinguish the Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center from others in the region.
Founded in 1976, the center is an Accredited Comprehensive Community Cancer Program recognized for quality of care by the American College of Surgeons. Most recent re-certifications in 2009 and 2012 resulted in commendations for the cancer center, signifying that Parkview's is one of the top cancer treatment programs in the nation.
Designed as a tranquil environment for patients, the center’s high-tech equipment blends into the background in this comfortable healing space highlighted by natural elements of wood, stone and glass. Soothing colors, comfortable furniture and private treatment areas enhance the patient’s healing experience.
In addition to the latest technology, expert physicians and knowledgeable staff, the center also features:
- Parient Nurse navigators available to answer patient questions, coordinate appointments and provide resources
- Outpatient Infusion Clinic
- On-site offices of Radiation Oncology Associates, Indiana Surgical Specialists and Fort Wayne Medical Oncology & Hematology
- Genetic counseling through the Cancer Genetics Clinic
- Satellite office of Cancer Services of Northeast Indiana
- A cancer resource library with Internet access
- Education rooms and wellness suite for complementary care services
- A wig boutique
In March 2012, the inpatient care unit relocated from Parkview Hospital to the Parkview Regional Medical Center. Now within a short walk of the cancer center, the inpatient unit encompasses a family lounge with TV and Internet and 22 private rooms, including hospice and palliative care rooms.
Together, these facilities provide the Parkview Comprehensive Cancer Center’s services. The center’s goal is to diagnose cancer in its earliest stages and meet patients’ needs on as many levels as possible. We offer a progressive, comprehensive approach to treatment:
- Patients have access to a range of surgical and non-surgical options and may participate in national research studies.
- Patients benefit from the expertise of physicians from multiple disciplines. Physicians collaboratively review a variety of cases to seek the best possible result for each patient.
- Patient Nurse navigators – nurses experienced in helping people cope with cancer and navigate the healthcare system - provide counseling, support and referral services to help meet physical, emotional, spiritual and financial needs.
- Testing and other diagnostic services are available on site at the adjoining Outpatient Center.
- Complementary care services – such as a cancer exercise program, massage, reflexology, nutritional counseling and other services - improve quality of life and foster a sense of well-being.